Monday, October 8, 2012

Homecoming 2012

Let me begin by explaining that I'm new to the highschool this year. I attended Sparta Schools all my life up until my eighth grade summer. My parents were newly divorced and my mom had moved to Rockford. My dad left to do service in the military so I made the decision to move to Rockford Public Schools that year and that's where I've been the last three years. I decided this year, even though it was my senior year to move back so I could live with my dad. So this homecoming was entirely different from what I'm used to.
At Rockford, basically, the school does an hour long pep assembly similar to what Sparta does here. The only difference being that the games involved in the assmembly don't take all day and there's no real class rivalry. The game on the other hand is far more hyped and is insane to attend. Where at Sparta the crowd is relatively small, Rockford's football games in general are on the verge of over 5,000 people in attendence. Also, for the homecoming court concept, voting is the same, because of the immense size, the assembly for meeting the court is taken place in the auditorium and only the senior class attends. The assembly is recorded and broadcasted to the rest of the school, including to the Freshman building. Rockford isn't as enthusiastic for Spirit Week as well, I've never seen that many people dress up stupid for school spirit. It's been different. I appreciate schoolwide meeting of homecoming court and the level of insanity that was Sparta Homecoming.
I haven't yet quite wrapped my head around the concept of Mock Rock or the floats or the parade or the absolute insanity of that day. It was fully interesting and I still don't know how to feel about the situation. I suppose my perspective is more objective.
Granted, I enjoyed it for the most part but it's still hard to wrap my mind around.

No comments:

Post a Comment